Each type of photography light has its ups and downs. As a photographer, you should know about them and use them accordingly. That’s how you will get to have better product photos. The following article will compare Product Photography Lights and their pros and cons.
Some popular product photography lighting is Flash Lighting, Studio Flash, and LED lights. When fully aware of these lighting, you can use them properly. With better usage and ideas, you could easily create masterpiece product photographs.
Comparing Product Photography Lights
Here’s the comparison of each of the Product photography lighting.
Flash lighting is a specialized light designed to provide a powerful burst of light in a short duration. It is a widespread technique in the photography world, especially on products. It offers you additional lighting. Thus, lighting helps you illuminate the subject briefly, freeze motion, and capture clear and sharp images.
- The flashlight offers you an intense burst of light. The lighting helps you to illuminate your subject effectively. It can work extensively, even in challenging lighting.
- The flashlight has a short flush duration, which is too suitable for freezing motion and captures sharp images. Any fast movable thing can be captured through it.
- You can customize the lighting according to specific requirements because it offers control over flash duration, power input, and other lighting.
- It has a wide range of modifiers. You can shape and control the lights and modify the shape, create lighting effects, and enhance product appearance.
- Flashlight equipment can be expensive. You may need an excellent financial ability to afford flash lighting, especially for beginners with limited budgets.
- You need to hire an expert team to deal with flashlights. Because lighting techniques can be complex for ordinary people, achieving the desired effect may take time, practice, and experimentation.
- Flashlight setups need to be more portable. They are designed to use in certain areas.
- Flashlights require recharge between flashes for a certain amount of time. The charging time depends on various subjects like battery capability or power output. So shooting time can be delayed for this.
- Some flashlight equipment required electricity or battery power. So make sure the shooting area has availability of electricity.
Continuous lighting is where lighting sources constantly remain during the shooting. It is an artificial lighting that continuously illuminates the subject. Unlike a flashlight that provides a burst of light, it offers a steady and continuous light source. Constant lighting includes LED panels, fluorescent lights, and natural light. It can also be used in fluorescent photography. You can adjust its power, brightness, and effects. It also helps you to process your product images for background removal service.
- The main benefit of continuous lighting is that it allows photographers to see the lighting effects in real time. You can adjust the impact according to the desired outcome.
- The setting of continuous lighting is too easy. Anyone, even beginners, can use this lighting—no need to hire an expert.
- High-quality continuous lighting offers you color accuracy and consistent color rendering. It ensures color reproduction in pictures and videos.
- It is the most common and widely used lighting. You can use it not only for product photography but also for others like portraits, vlogging, interviews, and many more.
- Many types of continuous lighting, such as tungsten, can generate a little heat. It may result in overheating, which delays shooting time. So it is crucial to choose a good one.
- Powerful continuous lights require a high amount of electricity compared to others. So make sure you have enough power sources for shooting.
- This lighting is less portable even than a flashlight. So it may require additional stands and accessories to move.
- This lighting is not preferable for capturing fast-moving objects. Though you can grab it, taking sharp and crisp images in a moving situation is challenging.
Studio flash lighting
Studio flash light is, also known as studio strobe lighting, a powerful and adjustable flash unit in a specific studio environment. It is simply a large flash unit. The bigger size provides you with a powerful source of light. These features make them different from others.
- Studio flash light allows adequate illumination of the subject by providing a powerful burst of light.
- As the lights are more significant, it is preferable for big subjects of shooting spaces.
- This lighting has a short flash duration. The duration enables it to freeze the motion and capture a sharp image of a moving object.
- It provides a consistent color temperature, ensuring accurate and perfect color reproduction in pictures and videos.
- You can control flash duration, power inputs, and lights. So a photographer can customize lighting effects according to requirements.
- You can shape and control light through modifiers like softbox, umbrella, and reflector.
- Studio flashlights are highly expensive, exceptionally high-quality units. So you have to be financially strong to complete the studio flash light setup.
- The techniques of studio flash light are complicated. To achieve the desired effect, you must hire or be an expert.
- The lighting is designed to be used in a controlled environment. So it is more portable than others and sometimes demands mobility.
- They need a certain amount of time to recharge between flashes. The time depends on the capability of the battery or power output.
- It often requires electricity to work. Ensure the availability of electricity in the shooting space.
The complete form of LED light is light-emitting diode lights. This lighting uses the technology which uses a light-emitting diode to illuminate the subject effectively. It also helps you in the photo retouching process. LEDs are electronic devices that emit light after electricity is applied to them.
- LED lights consume less power compared to other lighting. The energy-efficient light helps to reduce power costs and hassle.
- It is the most long-lasting light. The long operational lifespan can last the camera thousands of hours.
- They are way too strong. Any shock, vibration, or damaging impact cant damage them. Their durability makes them suitable for portable lighting setups.
- It significantly generates less heat compared to other lighting. It is safer to handle and helps to maintain a comfortable shooting environment.
- LED lights don’t require any warm-up time. They can reach full brightness immediately.
- LED lights have a higher upfront cost compared to other lighting. However, long life and energy savings can adjust the price later.
- Low-quality LED lights may have vibrations in color temperature and consistency. So choosing a good one is vital to achieving good color accuracy.
- Some LED lights have limited compatibility with traditional ones
- Sometimes they may need to match the power and intensity of high-powered conventional lighting options.
Strobes, Flashes, and Speedlites
Strobes, flashes, and speedlites are lighting equipment used in photography. The kit provides a burst of lights to illuminate the subject. Strobes are powerful external flash units that are larger than other types of flashes. Flashes are smaller and more compact compared to strobes. Speed lights specific brands of flashes that CANON produces.
- Strobes, flash, and speed light provide a high-intensity burst of light which helps to illuminate larger objects in the shooting area effectively.
- They have a short flash duration which helps to capture moving objects very sharply.
- They give you color accuracy. So you can get professional pictures through it.
- Flashes and speed lights are compact and lightweight, which makes them highly portable.
- They are highly preferable for an on-go trip of event photography. They can quickly adjust to any place for proper exposure.
- They give you consistent color temperature and accurate color reproduction.
- They are costly, especially strobes. You must invest a lot of money to make a complete lighting setup.
- They are often larger and bulkier compared to other equipment. They are less portable and move in a limited space.
- It is vital to know lighting techniques and principles before using these. Either hire an expert to get the desired lighting effect.
- Flash and speedlites have lower power inputs. It can limit their effectiveness.
- Some flashes need more compatibility. That is why additional accessories may be necessary for proper attachment.
Tungsten lights are also known as quartz lights. It is a continuous lighting source commonly used in product photography. They produce light by heating a metal filament. This uses electricity to pass through the tungsten filament and heat it. It has a characteristic orange glow.
- Tungsten light provides a warm and natural-looking glow. The warm temperature can make a product or subject visually more appealing.
- Tungsten light comes at a meager price in the market. So it is very affordable, and even people with a low budget can buy this.
- As it is a continuous light, a photographer can see and adjust it in real time. It helps to customize lighting effects.
- You can shape and control the lights through various modifiers like softboxes, reflectors, and barn doors.
- Tungsten lights can generate a lot of heat, which is concerning and a bit dangerous to handle.
- The lighting consumes a large amount of power. It makes them less energy efficient and results in higher energy costs.
- The lifespan of this light is too short compared to other lighting. They required maintenance and extra care to extend their lifespan.
- External and internal impacts can easily damage tungsten light.
- They have a fixed color temperature. So it is suitable for certain types of photography.
Diffusion is the lighting process that spreads and softens the lights from harsh shadows. It involves materials to scatter the light, resulting in a more diffused illumination.
- Diffusion helps to spread the light, which reduces the contrast between light and shadow. It softens the harsh shadow and makes natural-looking lighting.
- It created more distribution of light across the product. It reduces the intensity of vibration to make balanced lighting.
- It helps to reduce glare and specular reflections. It is suitable when the subject’s surface is reflectable.
- You can control the light’s intensity, allowing you to customize lighting effects.
- The diffusion material scatters and absorbs a potion of light, reducing the overall brightness.
- It scatters the light in various directions, which can reduce control over shape and lights.
- It may result in a loss of shadow definition, which makes the picture artificial.
Which Brands of Lighting Are Good for Product Photography?
There are lots of brands available for lighting in the market. Here we are mentioning some good brands.
Comparing product photography lights does give you valuable insights. Please get to know about it and be a better photographer.
We all know photography has become a marketing strategy. You can benefit in a lot of ways in your business through it. But you have learned about every aspect of product photography, including lighting. Know and learn which lighting suits your product, how to use it, and its technique. I hope you will succeed in your business.